About InfoDesign: Understanding by Design
'InfoDesign: Understanding by Design' supports the growth and application of information design. Information design helps people and organizations achieve understanding through the creation of relevant, clear and memorable information.
'InfoDesign: Understanding by Design' is dedicated to the growth and improvement of the information and experience industries through the provision of a centralized online resource that serves all interested audiences. Launched in 2004, the site will continually evolve to meet the needs and desires of its participants. 'InfoDesign: Understanding by Design' is a non-profit informational resource.
'InfoDesign: Understanding by Design' is maintained by Peter J. Bogaards.
For content suggestions, please contact Peter (pjb at bogieland dot com).
- "Love the site. It is a truly helpful and insightful resource for the field." (Marisa Gallagher - Oct. 16, 2006)
- "Great site you have put together. Can't believe I haven't come across it before." (Toby Biddle - Oct. 10, 2006)
- "(...) thanks for keeping on editing this great and information rich newsletter. I keep liking it." (Robin Good - Sep. 4, 2006)
- "(...) I love your blog and newsletter since a long time. You're making an amazing work!" (Laurent Goffin - Aug. 1, 2006)
- "Your blog is still probably the best single resource out there." (Peter Merholz - May 23, 2006)
- "Love the newsletter and a staple read." (Daniel Szuc - May 22, 2006)
- "The newsletter is very popular here at the BBC and it's the one thing I make sure I read, even when insanely busy." (Karen Loasky - Mar. 30, 2006)
- "Excellent resource! Thanks so much for compiling this diverse set of resources." (Eric Myers - Apr. 7, 2006)
- "Thank you so much for making InfoDesign happen. It's invaluable and I really appreciate having an aggregate of meaningful resources delivered to my inbox every now and then. At this day and age when there are so many potential sources of information and the signal versus noise ratio is so overwhelming, it's incredibly refreshing to have at least one part of what's meaningful to me taken care of." (Livia Labate - Apr. 10, 2006)
- "(...) I love the site, been a long time subscriber" (David Heller - Aug. 12, 2004)
- "InfoDesign stands testament to the value of passion, dedication, and human filtering in an age of automation. I use it every day." (Peter Morville - Oct. 7, 2005)
- "Thanks for the awesome effort at your InfoDesign site. It has become an indispensable resource for any information design professional." (Venkatesh Rajamanickam - Sep. 27, 2005)
- "Your site is a treasure trove for information design and I congratulate you for doing such a fine service for the community." (Karen Schriver - Jul. 17, 2005)
- "This site got a LOT of resources. From Accessibility to Personas, Metadata to Writing. It's got it all." (Mark Boulton - Jul. 12, 2005)
- "(...) the amazing infodesign newsletter." (Laurent Haug - May. 11, 2005)
- "(...) I like Informationdesign.org very much. It is a true virtual library on information design - and wonderfully designed." (Michael Straehle - Feb. 6, 2005)
- "(...) I really find your InfoDesign website very useful." (Gerry McGovern - Nov. 20, 2004)
- "Your work with informationdesign.org has been a beacon for us." (Frank Cronk - Oct. 26, 2004)
- "Thank you so much for your wonderful InfoDesign blog." (Dey Alexander - Mar. 19, 2004)
- "I enjoy InfoDesign ..." (Mark Hurst - Feb. 19, 2004)
- "(...) my first outward click of the day." (Thomas vanderWal - July 1, 2003)
- "It is a wonderful resource; it is my homepage and the first thing that I do every morning is visit the links." (Dirk Knemeyer - Feb. 18, 2003)
- "Some interesting links to information design material. (...) Quite a number of the articles listed are intellectually flabby or devoted to the practice of commercial art, but there are enough intriguing items to justify an occasional look." (Edward Tufte - Oct. 2002)
- "I visit InfoDesign daily and am always impressed by the timeliness and quality of the content." (Luke Wroblewski - Nov. 7, 2001)
1994 - Yuri Engelhardt starts 'InfoDesign': a moderated mailing list about information design.
1995 - A second (unmoderated) mailing list is started by Yuri Engelhardt: 'InfoDesign-Café'. An editorial team is formed which initially consists of Piet Westendorp and Karel van der Waarde. Karen Schriver, Conrad Taylor and Alan Davis join shortly after.
1997 - Peter J. Bogaards launches the website 'InfoDesign: To surf the community' aiming to be a daily resource for various design-related disciplines.
1999 - Karel van der Waarde takes over from Yuri Engelhardt as list owner and moderator of the InfoDesign and InfoDesign-Café lists. Editors are Alan Davis, Yuri Engelhardt, Karen Schriver, Conrad Taylor and Piet Westendorp.
2000 - A website is set up to accompany and support the mailing lists. Yuri suggests its domain 'InformationDesign.org'. The site is designed by Conrad Taylor.
2004 - 'InfoDesign: To surf the community' and 'InformationDesign.org' merge into a single site: 'InfoDesign: Understanding by Design'. This merger is motivated and supported by Dirk Knemeyer. 'InformationDesign.org' now hosts the InfoDesign weblog, the mailing lists and their archives.
'InfoDesign: Understanding by Design' would not have been possible without the valuable contributions from Peter J. Bogaards (content), Maria Haro-Perez (content), Paul Jongsma (technology), Dirk Knemeyer (project lead), Ruurd Priester (visual design), Jim Rudolf (technology), Ronald Vendelmans (technology), and Karel van der Waarde (content).